Monday, March 21, 2011

WhiteBox .RTF file available

For those who aren't familiar with WhiteBox, it's the S&W version that mimics the first three OD&D booklets, without adding anything from the later supplements. All hit dice are a d6, spells don't go to as high levels as they do in the supplements, etc. It has the most human-scaled "feel" of all the editions. This version is the third printing. Calling it the third printing actually collapses the two Brave Halfling printings, but it makes it clear that there are three phases - the original version on lulu, the Brave Halfling phase, and then the post-Brave-Halfling phase.

Part of the plan with Swords & Wizardry: Whitebox is that it's a framework for people to tinker with, so for their convenience of editing I post up a word processing document of the rules. This makes it easier for people to personalize and print their own adapted books for a gaming table if they want to.

I have uploaded the word-processing file for Swords & Wizardry: WhiteBox onto the server, and it can be downloaded from HERE.

There's no art, obviously, since it could cause downloading difficulties for the file, but all the text is in here for you to use in personalizing your own WhiteBox rulebook. I did change the format into US letter size instead of the original 6x9 for convenience of printing.

I've been told that an rtf file is more generally usable than a Word file, so that's how I uploaded it. If anyone runs into a problem with it, please let me know either here or on the Swords & Wizardry message boards.

If you're a tinkerer and the White Box set is your thing, download away!

Matt

4 comments:

  1. Having the Word file was one of the things that sold me on S&W Whitebox over all the other retro clones. I'm an incurable tinkerer, and the ability to incorporate my house-rules right into the main rule book was fantastic! Thanks, Matt, this was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm house ruling myself further and further away from standard WB, but still, thanks for doing this, the old word version definitely got me started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This will make for some fun stuff down the road...

    ReplyDelete