Friday, March 18, 2011

Japan Relief(?)

RPGNow has put up a button to bring in donations to help with disaster relief in Japan (SEE HERE), but I haven't seen any sort of package into which publishers can donate products, the way they did for the New Zealand earthquake. Does anyone know if I am just missing that program somewhere, because I'd like to put in at least one pdf into the package if they are going to do it.

On the same topic, NobleKnight is giving a piece of their action between now and March 21 for disaster relief. Relevant text of the NKG email follows:

Text of Aaron's email re: NobleKnight:
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you've all heard by now about the challenges our many gamer friends in Japan are facing. News is circulating that donations are on the low end and NKG has decided to chip in. We'll be making a base $500 donation as well as contributing 10% of every sale made through our website from you through Monday 3/21! We're also offering a 5% off gift certificate, at checkout type NKGJAPAN into the gift certificate field to receive this discount (please note this is good during the donation period until end of day Monday only). The donation (10% of your purchase, before shipping) will be made to the Red Cross via Paypal. We'll report back the total amount in our next newsletter and forward the Paypal receipt to anyone who would like to see it. If you do not normally order via our website please email me (or ask over the phone, in store, etc) so we can make sure the donation and gift certificate is properly credited!

6 comments:

  1. It seems a lot of publishers have been doing there own thing, donating the sales for a product to the Red Cross.

    I can only imagine that OBS either think it's too close to the NZ quake to do another bundle or their servers couldn't cope with the demand.

    - Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the DriveThruRPG mailing list and they sent out a special bulletin on behalf of One Book Shelf earlier this week. Essentially, they shot their promotional/charity wad on the New Zealand quake and GM's Week sales. It's a real shame, because Japan's having major aid issues right now as it is. I remember the Gamers Helping Haiti promotion raised something like $50,000 (or more?). I know hindsight's 20/20 and all, but if it had to be one or the other I really wish they'd held off on the New Zealand charity drive in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crud. The problem from my perspective is that there's a delayed reaction at both lulu and RPGNow in between the time I sell something and the time I actually get the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, being honest with myself, it's because I don't want to have my wife asking why I (inevitably) managed to screw up the accounting on it. I don't like handling money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we will donate for the earthquake fund tell us where to donate

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Japanese Red Cross is one possibility.

    ReplyDelete