Friday, March 4, 2011

The Nameless City: A Teaser

A teaser announcement for the latest new Swords & Wizardry Module:

When I drew nigh the nameless city I knew it was accursed. I was traveling in a parched and terrible valley under the moon, and afar I saw it protruding uncannily above the sands as parts of a corpse may protrude from an ill-made grave. Fear spoke from the age-worn stones of this hoary survivor of the deluge, this great-grandfather of the eldest pyramid; and a viewless aura repelled me and bade me retreat from antique and sinister secrets that no man should see, and no man else had dared to see.

Remote in the desert of Araby lies the nameless city, crumbling and inarticulate, its low walls nearly hidden by the sands of uncounted ages. It must have been thus before the first stones of Memphis were laid, and while the bricks of Babylon were yet unbaked. There is no legend so old as to give it a name, or to recall that it was ever alive; but it is told of in whispers around campfires and muttered about by grandams in the tents of sheiks so that all the tribes shun it without wholly knowing why.

-H.P. Lovecraft, The Nameless City

2 comments:

  1. Holy heck ! A D&D adventure about Bakersfield ?

    No no ! I named it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading the first paragraph I thought to myself: "Wow, this reads just like something Lovecraft would write!" Then I looked at the bottom. :P

    ReplyDelete